Book Review: The Hunger Games

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Hey Guys!!
 
I have finished reading The Hunger Games and thought I would let you know what I thought of it. This is going to be a long post so I do hope you will enjoy it and obviously I know other people may have different opinions to me about this book, so let me know what you think as well if you have read it :)
 
At first I thought the same as the film, it was a little bit slow to start, but I think that is because you read the title of the book and expect it to go straight into The Hunger Games. I definitely thought the writing was fantastic, everything was described so great which I was then able to picture completely in my head :)
 
When she introduces Katniss Everdeen you get the immediate impression that she cares very much for her family, as she goes hunting to make sure that there is food on the table for them and then when she volunteers in place of her sister, that then confirms my first impression. I do love that she is smart, independent and determined to survive, which obviously throughout the book you want her to anyway. What was your fist impressions of Katniss?
 
When Peeta Mellark was introduced I wasn't actually sure what to make of his character because she doesn't actually introduce him until he has been picked at the Reaping. During the run up to the Games I thought he was sweet and caring, also that he wasn't very confident in himself as he didn't think he was going to win. Then when he was in the Games and he had teamed up with the Careers I thought ooooo you sneaky boy, as I thought he was going to try and take everyone out to win the Games himself. Then when he saves Katniss life during the tracker jacker part I switched back to liking the character :) What was you first impressions of Peeta? 
 
I also loved in the beginning of the book how hard Katniss Everdeens' life is at the beginning and then she is literally thrown in the deep end when she has to go to the Capitol. When you read it, its like you can picture how much of a stark difference it is between District 12 and the Capitol. Its like you can picture her having to search the woods for hours for food to feed her family, or at least something she can trade. Then when she gets to the Capitol you can then see the stark difference as she can have whatever food she wants at the touch of a button, they have stylists to prepare them for the run up to the Games and just the luxuriousness of being there. As you read it though you can feel the anticipation of the run up to the Games, its like as you read it you know in the back of your mind that they have to still go through the games. What did you think of the differences between District 12 and the Capitol?
 
During the part of the book which is when they are in the Games, I felt tense with anticipation as to what was going to happen and felt I had to keep reading so that I knew what happened next. When they first got in and all the things they needed were presented in front of them I couldn't believe how much of a 'blood bath' it was, especially when you have a vivid imagination like me. Its like you expect it because its a game where you fight until the death and until there's only one left but you don't realise how bloody it is. I felt very tense when the Gamemakers decided to draw the Careers and Katniss together with the fire because I just thought oh god don't get hit or burnt and felt like I was on the edge of my seat. I was so glad then that she managed to get up that tree and then was able to get away from the Careers with the tracker jacker nest even though she got hurt in the process. What did you think of this part of the book?

I don't want to go into to much detail about what happens through the book as you may not have read it yet so I am going to now round it up to my conclusion :)

Overall I thought the writing was fantastic, everything was described in so much detail and in a way that you could picture it all throughout reading which was also fantastic :) I also liked that with all the characters you could relate to them in some sort of way or that you know someone with those characteristics which made me enjoy the book so much more.

I would definitely recommend this book to anybody that enjoys this sort of book and if you haven't read it yet and would like to you can get it from Amazon, WHSmith, Waterstones and anywhere that sells books really. Let me know what you think of the book as well :)

Hope You're Having A Good Week!!!

See You Soon!!!
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment